Friday, May 29, 2009

Big Brothers Big Sisters

Hi.

I was a part of BBBS about 6 years ago. Tawaina was my little's name. She is about 19 now. We still keep in touch. Mostly by text and email. She calls me sis and tells me she loves me. The thing is when we were hanging out we had very few words. I never thought I was doing enough and thought I was the worst Big.

We did stuff like festivals, made pizza at my place, watched movies, carved pumpkins on Halloween and went roller skating. Things like that. Still with very little to say.

I never thought I would be friends with her 6 year later, she living in Dallas ( fair park area of town) and me here in Austin. She did not live in the worst area but not the safest by ANY means. I remember driving her friend home one night...and that was SCARY.

This little girl was in essence my Big. She taught me that just being there for someone, whether silent or not, is so meaningful if your heart is really in it. The other person can tell. I truly wanted to do a good job at being her Big Sis and made it for one year before I moved to Austin. Some Bigs are amazing. They did soooo much for their little and have been there for them for years. That is what I was comparing myself too. It does not matter. I did the best I could and she knew that.

To this day whenever I am in a funk or just not myself she knows. I will get a text from her with a psalm verse or just a positive saying. Of course she is still a kid so I get the silly texts too that she forwards to and from her friends. Makes me smile.

I post this as a reminder of how important it is to get over yourself. On those days that you are feeling sorry for yourself try doing something nice for someone else. You never know how awesome of timing it will be and will make you feel tons better. Sure, that could sound a little selfish but it is win win.

I did not have to act like her mom, did not teach her school stuff or give her any advice about life.

I was just there.

1 comment: