Monday, January 19, 2009

Am I a Salesperson at heart?

I originally went to school with the thought of getting my masters in Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy. My major was Kinesiology and minor was Biology so I was well on my way.

Then I got caught up in the money of sales. I got a free car, great benefits, and a flexible schedule. I got to wear cute clothes, flirt, and bribe doctors and staff. That was pharmaceutical sales. I brought drug samples and lunch and that is how you, the patient, get your drug choices. Then diagnostic sales. Then surgical sales - yeah scrubs and surgery! Then dental sales. Do you see a pattern?

The pattern is I am never completely satisfied. I had great perks and made awesome money but it was not in my heart. I like to be needed. I like to help and I love to wake up and feel good about what I am doing, for myself and other people.

The companies I worked for always thought we were changing lives. Bullshit. It was all about the money, rank and awards. It was all about the closing the deal and what doctor I got on board.

Another pattern I noticed is that if I didn't hit my quota or bring in money I would not feel good about myself until I did. All about my sales success. I ignored how good I made people feel by the following 3rd pattern.

I also noticed my pattern of building relationships. I still keep in contact from accounts I called on years ago and ex coworkers. I got many letters of recommendation and referral names from many people I worked for and with. This is not bragging. Just an eye opener. I do not want to do sales for quota or ranking anymore. It takes the passion out of what it is I really am doing. I am not a salesperson at heart and it has taken me 10 years to admit that. Salespeople are thickskinned and energetic. They can also be very insecure and LAZY.

I could be destroyed about being laid off but face it, I was ready to go and this was the kick in the ass to open my eyes to other, not so glorious, opportunity.

Occupational therapy snuck back into my life. Having a look at what my friend Leslie will be going through when she gets out of the hospital, which has been since before xmas and she has been sedated, and seeing how independent my blind uncle needs to be, I want to be an Occupational Therapist. I want to make a difference. I would be lying if money wasn't an issue, cause it absolutely is. I support myself 100%. I also tend to pick up tabs when I am buzzed. Again, I digress.

This decision to leave something I am accustomed to for something new is oh so unsettling; but so far I have gotten great response. Normally the things I do are a little off and not always approved. ( which kind of makes me wanna do it more). Yes, that includes running marathons and doing an Ironman. There are a couple of people out there who do not embrace my decisions but this is acceptable and appreciated.

I have recruiters calling me for outside medical sales opportunity and the money sounds great but will I quit in a year? I am 37 and this year will be 38 and need a career. Not just a way to make a lot of money. Dang it! :) Kidding.

4 comments:

  1. good for you!! i was excited for you just reading this post. (and thanks for posting! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atta girl! Who the hell needs a comfort zone anyway! Get out there and do what you LOVE!!

    and keep blogging...! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you know what you should do...there's a reason some things keep coming back into your life.

    That's exciting and it sounds like a really rewarding profession. Go get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate. I've been in semiconductor manufacturing as an engineer for awhile now and I can't wait to go back to school to become a physical therapist. I say do it because money isn't everything.

    ReplyDelete